First, think about how many times you use search engines during the course of a week. Next, think about how many times you tell someone to “Google it” in the course of a month. It happens pretty often, right?
So then what does that mean for your business? Why do you need search engines for your marketing?
Search engines represent the most important source of new website visits.
- According to Conductor, about 47% of website visits come from natural search and another 6% from paid search. That means over half of the visitors to your website are starting at a search engine!
- A report from comScore says internet users in the United States conducted 19.4 billion explicit core searches in July 2013 with 67% of those coming from Google Sites, 17.9% from Microsoft Sites, 11.3% with Yahoo! Sites, 2.7% from the Ask Network, and 12% with AOL, Inc.
- Most people who know where they want to go online will go there directly by typing a web address into their browser. These people are most likely repeat customers. Most new visits to a website, however, come through search engines. Therefore, if you want new customers, you want to show up when people search for your product or service (or a similar one)!
- As of March 2012, PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP (PwC) reports that 80% of global consumers research a product online before they buy it in the store. Many times this research begins with a search engine. The report says, “All consumers are becoming increasingly sophisticated at multichannel shopping.” The survey also found that the convenience of online shopping (cited by 28% of respondents) beat out low prices (25%) as the main reason consumers are attracted to web merchants.
- Search engines are an inexpensive way to reach people. Pursuing free natural-search and inexpensive paid-search campaigns can supplement any other form of marketing or advertising you are doing to drive traffic to your website.
The basics of search engines and search engine optimization (SEO) are simple. You may be able to make a small change to your website that makes a big difference in your site’s rankings and search results. Over the next several weeks, I will be sharing quick and easy information on SEO and how to make sure YOUR website shows up in search results.